Tuesday, February 23, 2010

32 for 32

I first created this list in April. After going back through and looking over all of my choices, I'm pretty satisfied with it. There were a couple of duds as well as a few songs that I wanted to add that I wouldn't have been thinking of in April.

I want to preface this list by saying I'd be the first to admit that I'm quite possibly the worst DJ the earth has ever produced. You could probably play the five most current, popular radio songs for me right now and I would never have heard of them. I'm not really interested in the music that is produced on sound boards today. Give me a band.

I'm not trying to be a crowd-pleaser here, just trying to put out an interesting list, which I promised about 10 months ago.

That being said... you won't find Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears or Lady Gaga on this list. You also won't see any of this horrifying crossover country. Don't get me started on that stuff, I have other stuff to do tonight. I was really trying to create a timeless list that you could discover in 30 years from now and still enjoy these songs. Another thing I didn't want to do is just write the 35 most famous songs of all time, I wanted to find a couple sleepers that you may have forgotten about. While I did include some pretty famous old songs, you won't see stuff like, Stairway to Heaven or Free bird apart from right here.

1. I Aint Mad at Cha. Tupac. The only rap song on the list. Kind of felt like I had to do that since I pretty much exclusively listened to Tupac from age 9-16. The creepy thing is that I remember watching this video... a week after Tupac died. This is the album version. The real (clean) video
was released under I aint mad at ya.

2. Santeria. Sublime. I think the bassline in this song is really innovative and I like guitar riff during the chorus.

3. Amber. 311. Speaking of Sublime... I've always thought that 311 sort of sounds like a poor-man's Sublime. 311 is probably less famous but I think they have similar sounds. They both rely heavily on their bassists to drive songs which is probably why I like them. Anywho, I like Amber because it is relaxing and it is in the background of 50 First Dates and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which are both set in Hawaii. I guess that doesn't really matter.

4. Renegade. Styx. If you've never heard this song in its entirety, try it, now. I like how the song sort of completely switches at about the 40 second mark. I think this song is fun.

5. Change the World. Eric Clapton. I think this song won a grammy for song of the year. Clearly, if you do not like this song you're stupid and we probably can't be friends. Wait until the second verse to judge, this is when the song picks up a bit.

6. In the Air Tonight. Phil Collins. I love the few guitar strums in the early part of the song but this song walks a fine line. The bridge to this song is incredible, with the entry of the unique drums and bass line. The song flirts with being pretty boring if it didn't have one of the best bridges of all time.

7. Warning. Incubus. I like Incubus this much: I---------------------------------------I. I wanted to get them on this list somewhere and I suppose, if I could only listen to one Incubus song for the rest of my life it would be Warning. Don't ever let life pass you by.

8. Always be my Baby. Mariah Carey. I guess this is where you question my sexuality. I like GOOD music and I can definitely say that Mariah is an amazing singer. I remember watching this music vid when I was little, two kids snuck out one night and went swimming in a pond. It was pretty romantic.

9. Wish you were here. Pink Floyd. I have always liked this song but I never knew it was by Floyd. This song really changed my perception of Pink Floyd and made me want to explore more of their music. I'm glad I did. Really, it doesn't matter what kind of music you like, this song spans many genres, I guarantee you will like it. Just give it a minute to start...

10. Brain Damage/Eclipse. Pink Floyd. Don't do drugs. Eclipse is after Brain Damage on the Dark Side of the Moon Album, which ran as 1 long song. Radio stations play Brain Damage and Eclipse together sort of like We Will Rock You and We are the Champions by Queen.

11. Prayer. Disturbed. Listening to this song now makes it hard to believe that I used to exclusively listen to this kind of music. I do still like this song, and think I always will but it mainly makes the list to commemorate my misguided youth. BTW, the real music video to this song was banned because of it's images of 9/11.

12. My Immortal (Band Version). Evanescence. I first heard this song the day my cat died. This seems silly, even to me, that that would make this song significant but Buckeye (my cat) was a total badass. The song is amazing once the full band enters.

13. Don't Speak. No Doubt. Before Gwen Stefani went commercial, she was in a sweet band called No Doubt, which made pretty good music. I can't really put my finger on a specific thing which makes me like this song, it's just awesome all the way through. (this live video is awesome)

14. Glycerine. Bush. Before Gavin Rossdale went commercial and married Gwen Stefani, he was in a sweet band called Bush, which made awesome music. Glycerine is off their 6teen Stone album, which is the first CD I ever bought.

15. Hard to Concentrate. Red Hot Chili Peppers. I thought this song was terrible the first time I heard it. I have grown to find it very addicting. The lyrics are great, I love the bassline and the tambourine in the last chorus is what really makes the song for me.

16. Down in a Hole. Alice in Chains. This is an amazing song. My favorite part is the bridge where the lead singer is harmonizing with himself. Also, listen to how the cymbals are being used in the intro and 1st verse.

17. Behind Blue Eyes. The Who. Love the bridge in this song. "And if I swallow anything evil put your finger down my throat...And if I shiver give me a blanket, keep me warm, let me wear your coat."

18. Galapogos. Smashing Pumpkins. Smashing Pumpkins is one of those bands you form an opinion of because you hear a single like "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" and you just write them off without hearing anything else by them. This song can really change your opinion of the Pumpkins, it did for me. I like a lot of their songs but some of their more mellow hits include: Today and Disarm.

19. Hotel California. The Eagles. To me, this is one of the best songs I've ever heard. I know I will always love this song. It's almost hypnotic.

20. Cecelia. Simon and Garfunkel. Speaking of good lyrics. The first verse of this song is pretty funny. I like all the percussion in this song. I always try to tap my hands and feet with the song but I can't.

21. California Dreamin'. The Mamas and the Papas. When you read this one you probably won't know what I'm talking about. When you hear it you'll be like, "Oh, that's this song? This song is awesome."

22. Baby, I Love your way. Peter Frampton. Pistol Pete is sweet and this song is no different. It's more of a bargain for your time over his live version of Do you Feel Like we do? Both songs are pretty gnarly.

23. Cats in the Cradle. Various. Ahh, before Cat Stevens was Muslim he sang this song. I recently had two cousins tell me this is a happy song. They are dumb and we're no longer on speaking terms. If you think it is a happy song, give me your email address and i'll send you the lyrics and call you a silly mongoose.

24. Sweet Emotion. Aerosmith. One hot summer I had the good fortune to drive every police car the Village of Minster owned. Sweet Emotion has been my personal theme song ever since.

25. Black. Pearl Jam. I don't think I can definitively say what my all time favorite song is. It's kinda hard to narrow the list down to 1. If someone were holding some sort of deadly weapon to my head and desperately needed to know what my favorite tune of all time was, I'd probably say Black by Pearl Jam. I fell in love with this song on 107.5 while driving around a Village of Minster Truck. This is when I was first was really exposed to Pearl Jam.

26. Ten. Pearl Jam. You haven't heard of this song because it's an album. Their debut album was incredible.

26. Yellow Ledbedder. Pearl Jam. The guitar riff in the intro is probably a close second to Can't You Hear Me Knocking's intro in my all-time favorites. It also has a sweet solo right after Eddie says, "Make me cry." I could pound a few brews to this song, I could.

27. Under the Bridge. Red Hot Chili Peppers. I previously stated that Black may be my all time favorite song. For some reason, I'm 100% positive that I've listened to Under the Bridge more times than any other song in my life

28. Fly Away. Lenny Kravitz. This song is probably at least a little corny but I really like it. I would like to see the stars, the milky way or even Mars. The chorus is pretty awesome, plus I thought I should include at least one Blewish (If you get that pun, I'm impressed) person on my list.

29. Say It Aint So. Weezer. It is really a pretty simple song. It's kinda slow but it kinda rocks. I love this song and I can't get over it.

30. Just My Imagination. The Temptations. Felt I had to get these guys on here somehow, this is one of those timeless songs I was talking about.

31. Lights. Journey. Who doesn't love Journey. It really doesn't get much better than Journey for me, for you (Randy Jackson). Yes, the guy judge on American Idol who isn't Simon, was once the bassist for Journey. His tops are a lot whiter than his bottoms. Anyway, Lights is probably my favorite Journey song.

32. Mary Jane's Last Dance. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Love TP. I listen to this song all the time and never get tired of it. I also discovered my mad harmonica skills while listening to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

silly quips here please