Wednesday, February 3, 2010

NFL and me and Colin not doing meth.


1. 1990 Cincinnati Reds World Champs
2. Autographed Rick Nash Jersey
3. Autographed, custom made, Colin Cowherd "Don't Do Meth," shirt.
4. Beanie Wells OSU Jersey

Those are my four favorite sports shirts

If you're here then you already know. I like sports. I really don't have a lot to say, unless you wanna talk about sports, movies or music. I'm just a pretty boring guy. My dad loves hunting and fishing, which justifies my affinity for watching paint dry. I watch television for hours straight. I listen to songs on repeat and have Chinese food about three times a week.

I do like sports. This post is about sports... and it's a long one.

In the world of sports, we recently had national college signing day for football recruits. The most exciting thing to happen to me since "Murder She Wrote" reruns started airing. Ohio State ended the day with a lackluster class, which was a pretty depressing for me. I try to remind myself that we still have Terrelle Pryor and I'm convinced, he will be amazing.

All the signing day activities brought me to think of one of my favorite Buckeyes, Beanie Wells. I love him because he's a powerful running back who runs with brute force. He runs defenders over instead of stepping around would-be tacklers, the former has always been more exciting to me, probably because I've never been a fan of track. I also love Beanie because he was the Buckeyes running back when I was a Junior and Senior at tOSU, so when I think of college football Saturday, (the best 12 days of the year at tOSU) Beanie will be one the people who comes to mind.

While I was thinking about Beanie yesterday, my mind moved to him in the NFL. He's played 1 season after being drafted in the first round. I was contemplating Beanie in the NFL and it's was then that I began to come up with some of the most complex ideas possible for my meager brain. This is where we get into the meat of this post.

Medium please.

I can't decide if Beanie Wells has amazing timing or terrible timing. Beanie may have amazing timing because if he had stuck around OSU for his senior season, he would be entering the draft this year. After this season in the NFL, I think it would be more apparent that his style of play wouldn't transfer over to this new NFL. I think Beanie may have terrible timing because if he were around 20 years ago he would probably have a very productive NFL career.

I feel this way because of the way the NFL game is played today. Some rule changes have really altered the play in the NFL. Defenders aren't allowed to touch the wide receiver and as my close, personal friend Colin Cowherd says, "It's a penalty if you breathe on Tom Brady." These rule changes and the ever evolving schemes in the NFL has made it a pass-first league.

So, this is what I think when I try to evaluate Beanie Wells, "Power rusher with better-than-expected speed." Then I ask myself, "Can he pass-block?" "Can he catch out of the backfield?"
The respective answers are "no" and "not really." Sorry, you don't have much value for me in the new NFL. Another Buckeye who was over-drafted. It's not Beanie's fault either, it's just a different league. It's interesting to take a power back from years past and try to place him in today's NFL. I think Barry Sanders would translate to today, he actually may have been better suited for today's game. I take a guy like Eric Dickerson and can't help but think that he may have been a non-factor if he were going to play his first NFL season in 2010. The only reason I pick Dickerson is because I think he had a similar body to Beanie.

Then I started thinking about prospective Hall 0f Fame running backs. Are we even going to see anymore running backs make the Hall of Fame. It's going to be difficult for these players to amass hall of fame careers in 3 seasons. It's impressive if you can even last that long. Take today's running backs. Adrian Peterson, I could see him having a 7 or 8 season career and making the Hall of Fame but only if he cuts back on his fumbles. Think about that. Adrian Peterson is possibly the most talented running back I've ever seen (I'm 24) and I'm not sure he'll end up in the hall of fame. I think Chris Johnson needs 2 or 3 more productive season to make the hall. Then who else is there today? MJD? His career certainly, won't be long enough to make the Hall. I guess you'll have LT and maybe Shaun Alexander make the Hall but it's going to be tough to induct running backs in the future. I wonder if Fred Taylor could make it simply because he played for a decade. It's interesting, look at a guy like Eddie George. I always thought of him as slightly above average in the NFL and if you look at his stats, that seems accurate. It's going to be difficult for a running back to even match his stats. I guess we could substitute receiving statistics for rushing statistics for today's running backs, but then are they really running backs?

Then I started thinking about becoming an MVP in the NFL. Am I crazy, or does it seem like we may never have a running back be the MVP again? Does driving 5.5 hours to drop someone off in Chicago only to turn around and drive right back make you crazy. Does taking a leak off the top of your middle school make you crazy. Maybe, but I don't think it's outrageous to think it's going to be a rare occurrence for a running back to win the MVP award from here on. I think a receiver will win it again before a running back. I also think a cornerback SHOULD win it before a running back does.

Why is a mint-condition 1964 Ford Mustang so valuable? Because there are only about 4 left. This is exactly why I think Darrelle Revis needs to win the MVP next year. I take that back, provided Peyton Manning misses half of next year, Darrelle Revis needs to be the MVP next year. You may think your favorite team has a decent, lock-down corner, but they are miles behind Darrelle Revis. Take Andre Johnson, IMO currently the 3rd most TALENTED wide receiver in the league, (Larry Fitzgerald and Brandon Marshall) and there is only one team in the league you could say with 90% certainty will hold him below 100 yards. The Jets. That's the only team. The fact that Darrelle Revis is the only corner in the league to have this ability means his relative value is greater than an outstanding QB.

Think about QB's in The League. Throw Peyton Manning out because he's the greatest to ever play the position (this may not be fair because Darrelle Revis could end up being the best corner ever) and follow me. Drew Brees had an unbelievable year and I'd hate to take anything away from what Drew's done because he's a great quarterback and terrific leader. Take Sean Payton's scheme and plug in a different quarterback, how good would the Saints have been. I could think of about 7 QB's who still take the Saints to the Super Bowl. Phillip Rivers, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlishamberger, Tony Romo and Kurt Warner (8). In a couple years I'll have to subtract Brett and Kurt but I'll be able to add Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Probably Mark Sanchez. Hell, Matt Cassel (who hadn't played since High School, literally) filled in for Tom Brady and rode Randy Moss, Wes Welker and a good defense to 11 wins! 11! I think it should be difficult to give the QB an MVP (discounting Peyton) when there are about 8 who would be interchangeable. Which is why Darrelle Revis could be the MVP one day. When I think about Darrelle Revis I compare him to a Kobe or 'Bron 'Bron in the NBA. You could trade Kobe but what would you get? It would be extremely difficult to get equal value. Four average players do not equal one Kobe or LeBron. The fact that there is no substitute for Darrelle makes him soooo valuable.

Darrelle Revis for MVP in 2010!

Do you miss the Arena Football League? Boy, so do I. Just wait, it'll be back in 3-5 years. It will be called the NFL...

What am I even talking about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

silly quips here please