Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Winter Olympiad

In some exciting news, I've figured out how to use the hyperlink feature. By using this I believe I'll be able to make this blog even better, and, I'll be honest, I wasn't sure that was possible.

I think I better start off with my customary apology paragraph. It has been a little while since my last post and I am deeply, deeply sorry. I was pretty busy last week and between having to complete two take-home tests and being really lazy, I just couldn't find the time to blog.

In an attempt to make amends, this will be a dual-release blog, much like Tupac and his double disc CD albums. The second post will be the long awaited, highly anticipated "32 Songs for 32 Years," blog that I have been talking about for quite some time.

Now, for what I really want to talk about....

Every few years there is a sporting event so captivating that I just cannot take my eyes off it. The list is really short but let me get into it. The first event that so enthralled me early in my life was World Cup Soccer. Growing up in rural Ohio, we did not play soccer because there were no soccer leagues. I remember first watching the World Cup at about age 12, and I immediately noticed how well manicured the playing surface looked and I just loved watching the ball roll on the ground. Admittedly, I'm a bit strange, but watching the ball roll true on a perfect surface just about put me in a trance-like state, I can't explain it because I don't understand it myself. To this day, my favorite part of any baseball game is watching infield practice because of all the ground balls. You can really tell how coordinated someone is by watching them take a couple ground balls and turn a double play. Anyway, in this same world cup I remember setting my alarm clock for 3:00 am because that's when the US would play in EDT and I couldn't miss a match. As a partially educated, moderately diverse, extremely good-looking young adult, my new favorite part of World Cup Soccer is the passion. Of course, this passion, is exhibited by every teams countrymen but America, for the most part. Watching a World Cup Soccer event on a different continent, especially Europe, is intense and I urge all of you to tune in during the next World Cup.

Outside of the World Cup, soccer sucks.

The next event that ruins my social life every couple of years is the World Baseball Classic. This is a relatively new event and I basically only like it because I'm a huge baseball fan. It has that element of national pride, such as World Cup Soccer, which seems to always elevate the intensity and tension for fans. Last WBC I saw Adam Dunn sprint after a fly ball and dive to break up a double play, which is all it took to confirm my suspicion that he was only giving my beloved Cincinnati Reds about 40% effort daily.

The event that made me conceive this blog, or form the zygotic idea, if you will, was you guessed it, The Winter Olympics. I don't really enjoy The Summer Olympics all that much. I've just never been overly concerned with who can swim back and forth faster or who can run in one, two, four, eight or sixteen circles the quickest. In unrelated news, I was probably one of the slowest skinny kids in school and I'm envious of dogs' swimming capabilities. I just think the Winter events are much more interesting. A comparable event to the 400 meters in the summer is short track speed skating, which I find wildly entertaining.

I had a specific event in mind, however, if you're anything like me you've been addicted to it as well. I'm talking about curling, of course. We love the NFL, we marvel at everything professional football players can do. NBA players hit wide open, long range shots with a regularity that IBS sufferers would covet. Curling's appeal comes from the opposite end of the spectrum. It looks like you could get three smart buddy's together, practice for a month and give John "Genetic, Athletic Perfection" Shuster, a pretty good game. Especially if he's in his Olympic (bad) form. John Shuster has been so bad that Bill Simmons is set to write his autobiography, "Sorry, Guys." I suggested the tagline, "Get Your Rocks Off." Team USA's captain is an overweight, bartender. Basically, I'm already halfway to being an Olympic Captain, I just need to get my Bartender's License. The sport is so interesting because you can sit at home and question the strategy, and you can also tell all your buddies how easy the game looks and you can drunkenly say that you'll all get a team together. America was so terrible in this Olympics and I still couldn't stop watching Curling. Seriously though, I would describe the game as Finesse Checkers. There is strategy involved but once you figure out what you have to do, one must execute the play. I feel like the sport is just one hot chick and one very charismatic man away from beginning a revolution in the United States. I hear you can curl in Columbus!

Mark "The Shark" Titus update.

Mark is now up to 2.3 million hits. When I began my quest to surpass him in hits (I embarrass him when it comes to content) Mark had 2.2 million and I had 1500 hits. I'm shortly going to surpass 2000 hits, and if my math serves (it always does), we're making positive steps. I'm going to plan a party for Saturday, March 6th to celebrate my passing of Mark Titus, this will give me enough time to pick up a cute outfit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

silly quips here please