Thursday, October 1, 2009

WNBA

Before I start ripping on the WNBA I guess I should explain how I feel about the NBA.  I don't want people to think that I dislike the WNBA just because they're girls.

I don't like the NBA, at all.  I've felt for the past couple of years that the players in the NBA are too good.  Yes, and I mean that.  In this league of stars, it seems to me that someone could drive to the hole just about every time and get a pretty easy layup or dunk.  Then on sportscenter when I watch highlights of the NBA I see a bunch of "sweet dunks."  "Oh, did you see that dunk?"  Then I think, 'No, but I have seen a dunk exactly like that about 476,895 times.'  Outside of that, if someone has a wide open shot, it goes in.  I also don't like how being the home team is a big factor in who wins.  I guess they just don't try as hard on the road.  Basically, one of my favorite days of the year is when the Cavs season is over and I get my friends back and we can talk about and watch real sports like football, baseball and hockey.  If you don't know me that well, you're probably not reading this blog, but I'm serious about the NHL, I like it a lot.  

Basically, I've seriously wondered to myself if I would like the WNBA more than the NBA.  I mean, think about what I said, women, for the most part, can't dunk so the play happens further away from the bucket.  Women aren't as good so when there is a shot there's more mystery if it'll actually go in.  So I checked out game 1 of the WNBA finals on Tuesday night.  

I'm not too sure about how awesome this WNBA thing is.  In fact, it's not very awesome at all.  It's the kind of thing that should get cut out of a slow economy.  I mean, I don't understand how it makes money at all.  These players and owners and what-not must have very little salaries.  I could either watch TV or go out and exercise or read a book or write a blog or I could go to a WNBA game.  I don't know, maybe a WNBA game would be fun, I've never been to one.  Then I might think that all my other options are free, whereas a WNBA game probably costs 2 dollars.  Looks like I'm stayin' in!

I'm flipping through the channels Tuesday night and I come to the WNBA Finals.  There is a little under 2 minutes remaining and I think it was a 4 point game.  Phoenix, at home, leading Indiana.  'Ok, this might be an exciting finish,' I'm thinking.  I start watching and right away I can tell that none of these players have penises, pretty disappointing.  Also it didn't take long to realize how much cheaper this league is, you can tell by how terrible the refs are, you get what you pay for.  I think there were about 6 calls made by the officials and 4 of them were awful.
Indiana is down by 3 with the ball and about 15 seconds left; okay, here we go.  An Indiana player comes off a screen and makes a 3 to tie it up with about 7 seconds left.  Phoenix takes the ball down the court, drives to the hoop and misses a layup, a teammate gets the put-back and misses from point blank.  Why didn't she dunk... oh yeah.  Time expires and the game goes to overtime.  After time expired I thought to myself, 'that was a mildly entertaining minute and a half of basketball,' then I thought, 'I bet overtime is 5 minutes, I don't want to watch that much longer.  I wonder what else is on... oooh! A Home Improvement Rerun!' 

I can't think of another sporting championship going into overtime or extended play and me not wanting to watch it.  Maybe watching 1:48 of a game isn't enough to decide that I don't like the league but yeah, it probably is.  I can't believe I actually thought that I might like the WNBA more than the NBA.   

I guess no matter what, the higher the absolute level of talent, the more exciting the league will be.  It's science.

No comments:

Post a Comment

silly quips here please